"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." ~George Bernard Shaw

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

My First is 14 today


Fourteen years ago today (February 13), I entered the world of motherhood, and became a parent to our amazing first daughter, 
Rachel Louise Ogden 
 My pregnancy with Rach was pretty normal in that I had the regular exhaustion, weird cravings, and just all-around aches, pains, ups, and downs of being pregnant.  I do remember that I could never get enough smoothies to satisfy, and to this day, Rachel is a lover of all smoothies.  Rachel was undoubtedly a very much-anticipated child.  She is the first in our family, first grandchild on my side, first GREAT grandchild, and I'm not kidding you when I say, the first GREAT GREAT grandchild--all on my side of the family.  My beloved Great Grandfather, Harold Bennett, was still living when Rachel was born.  We even managed a few 5-generation pictures because it was so amazing to have 5 generations living!

Rachel is a girl that knows what she wants and is very driven.  While she was a child, I could never stay one step ahead of her--she knew exactly what she wanted to do and how she was going to do it.  She has always been very creative and has had an entourage of friends to join in the fun of her plans.  I have often wondered how she has so much energy and ambition!  She is one of the loudest people in our home, but we still miss her when she's not around.  She joined her junior high cheer team this last year and seriously NEVER sits still.  Splits, head stands, back bends, you get the picture.  She's also played some lacrosse and wants to keep doing that too.  She is still playing the harp and is very good, but would be even more FANTASTIC if she practiced a bit more!  She is big into fashion and always looks adorable.  She is kind, friendly, talented, happy, boisterous, but also sometimes headstrong and bossy.  But hey, she knows how to get things done.

Here's a few fun shots of her:  (I am ordering a photo scanner so that I can more easily post older shots--yah, we're old.  We started taking pics of our family and kids BEFORE the digital age.  So posting pics before we have them stored on our computer is SO MUCH HARDER!) But Rach deserves to have a few baby pics posted!  She had the most amazing baby toupee' that was THE hot topic everywhere we took that child!  Be patient, I will post it!

With baby sister Ellie--what wise eyes she had as a 5-year old.

Uh, I guess the back-bending began early.


Aww....don't the older pictures of your kids just melt your heart?

 Playing the harp...


A little lacrosse...


Some major cheer....



In a few days, I'll post about what we did for her 14th birthday.  What does every 14-year old girl want?  Just a little make-up and shopping of course, and family togetherness with great food. Fun.

As I have thought about Rach today, I've recognized several qualities in her that I would love to see be stronger in me.  She is firm in who she is and if someone doesn't see her for who she is, she lets it roll right off of her.  She exudes confidence and optimism.  What qualities do you see in your kids that you wish would rub off on you like pixy dust? 

Rachel, we sure do love you and want you to know that Dad and I are so glad you were born first in our family.  You are such an incredible help to us and an amazing example to your 5 younger siblings.  Thank you for being who you are and I hope you had a great day!  ~ Love, Mom

2 comments:

  1. You just became a follower on my blog, and I was wondering how you came to find it? (I always find it interesting to know how people find my blog.) Anyway, I decided to check out your blog since I too enjoy reading blogs about other people's lives. And I think it's great! I especially liked your "My 2012 Word" post.

    I'm also a member of the "sisters" club (as I have six sisters/no brothers) and I completely agree with what you said about having them – it IS the best!

    Just wanted to say hi!
    – Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather! Thanks for looking and following my blog. I spent some time reading yours last night and you are such an inspiration. I love your bright, cheerful outlook on life. I need some of that to rub off onto me! I found your blog by just happenstance when you commented on one of Shawni's posts at her blog, 71 toes. I love being able to meet new people in the blogosphere. Have a great day!

      Delete